10 Ways To Not Lose Your Sanity When Flying With A Baby/Toddler

31 Comments

I remember being so terrified at just the thought of stepping onto an airplane with my baby. What do I do if he starts crying? How on earth am I supposed to change a diaper in those teeny tiny bathrooms? What is he won’t stop crying and people get upset? Can you tell I was paranoid about my son crying?

Well, I’m here to ease your fears and tell you that it’s NOT THAT BAD. I promise. Ryder has since turned 2 and he’s already been on 3 cross country flights. 2 of those were just him and I also since my husband couldn’t make the flights with us. So even if you don’t have help and it’s just yourself, it’s totally doable πŸ™‚ My husband and I decided from the get go that having a child was not going to stop us from traveling and visiting new places, and it hasn’t. So here are some things I’ve learned along the way, they will definitely help the experience go a lot smoother…

1. Stroller: Until Ryder was big enough to switch to the lightweight umbrella stroller, I brought our Graco Travel System with us so he could relax and lay back in it until we boarded. Once we could switch to the umbrella stroller, it became sooooo much easier. Either way, before you board, make sure to get your stroller tagged and then leave it to the side once boarding so it can be checked in and waiting for you once you arrive.

2. Car seat: Make sure to bring that car seat with you! Cause if you forget then you’ll be having to shell out extra money to rent one for your trip. What you do with the carseat once you go through security depends on your situation. I would only bring it on the plane if your child is still very young and likes to sleep in it and if he or she has their own seat paid for. Children under 2 can usually fly for free as long as they are in your lap. Which brings me to number three…

3. Seating: Even if you didn’t buy an extra seat for your child, make sure to ask the gate agent if there are any open seats on the flight. That isn’t usually my luck, but if you do have a flight with empty seats, go ahead and take one! That way they can stretch out and lay down (hopefully) and make it easier on you.

TIPS FOR FLYING WITH BABIES/TODDLERS

4. Diaper Bag: This is an obvious must have! What you fill it with will vary by age, but you will definitely need to pack it with diapers, toys, snack pouches and finger foods, baby wipes!!!, extra set of clothing, bottles/cups, etc. If you have a newborn, I would say keep several extra onesies in the bag. That way if there is an explosive diaper which always seems to happen at the most inopportune time, you can just switch out the onesie and toss the dirty one. These Gerber Onesies from Amazon are super cheap.

5. Entertainment: The last time we flew, Ryder was older and needed to be entertained a little differently than before. We brought these fun headphones and the iPad for him and he liked it a lot. When they’re younger, they really don’t need a lot of toys so I would save space on that. Ryder was more interested in playing with the tray and people watching.

6. People: My faith in humanity was restored once I started flying with Ryder. Ok, I may be exaggerating a little but honestly, I was so shocked at just how nice people can be! When flying by myself, people helped me fold up the stroller to go through security, would pick up stuff for me off the ground that Ryder would drop, etc. I’m sure it helps that he’s an adorable kid but I was so touched. Want to hear a horror story? Ryder was eating out of a squeeze pouch while on the plane once and got a little too rough…the food squirted all over the lady sitting next to us and I was so mortified! I kept apologizing but you know what she did? She just smiled and said what a good boy he was being. She even held him for me when I had to go to the restroom. So please remember …there might be the occasional grump who doesn’t smile back when they realize they’re sitting next to a baby but most people are understanding and will be totally nice! If anyone gives you a hard time or says anything rude about your child, you have my permission to tell them to eff off!

TIPS FOR FLYING WITH BABIES/TODDLERS

7. Seat Location: Sit near the back of the plane! Personally, I think it just makes more sense to be near the bathrooms in case you need to use it quickly and for just in case if Ryder does get a little loud. I find that most parents with kids tend to gravitate toward the back too, so strength in numbers πŸ™‚

8. Crawl it out: I let Ryder burn off energy before boarding by letting him roam around. You’re going to be stuck on an airplane for hours so the more they can move around and get the wiggles out beforehand the better.

9. Takeoff and Landing: The quick altitude change will mess with their ears and possibly hurt…make sure to give them either a bottle or a sippy cup to drink from during this time, it’ll help a lot. Ryder has never fussed once during takeoff and I’m sure it’s because we do this. Just don’t be like us and give them a lollipop…I can’t even tell you how messy he got!

10. Dress comfortably: I’m talking about us Moms πŸ™‚ I can guarantee you that by the end of the flight, you will be sweaty and covered in food, slobber, and who knows what else. Attractive right?

I really hope these tips were helpful πŸ™‚ I truly believe traveling with a young child is only as stressful as you make it out to be. If you’re a hot mess then they will sense that and become stressed out too. But if you go prepared then you will be fine and will have a great trip! Make sure to check out my product recommendations below and if you enjoyed this article, please make sure to subscribe with your email address below so you can stay up to date πŸ™‚

TIPS FOR FLYING WITH BABIES/TODDLERS

31 Comments
  • tara pittman

Traveling with babies is hard . They have so much stuff to bring with.

• Jessica Anderson

It can be so stressful if you’re not prepared! And yeah, I’ve def learned early on the less you can bring on the plane, the better πŸ™‚

• Enricoh Alfonzo

Very insightful post! Great structure & lay out.

• Jessica Anderson

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it πŸ™‚

• Robin Masshole Mommy

My kids have been flying since they were babies and as long as I have lots of snack options, they do just fine.

• Jessica Anderson

Yes food def is key lol. SO true πŸ™‚

• Laura Starner

There are a lot of great ideas in this post. I remember traveling with a screaming baby. I love the idea of letting the little one get good and tired before the flight.

• Jessica Anderson

Thanks Laura πŸ˜ƒ hope you’re doing well!

• Jolleen Ruiz

I have flown ONE time with a child and that was one of the worst experiences of my life! My poor baby boy was only 1 and he just did not know how to handle it. I wish I had this helpful info 7 years ago when it happened! Lol

• Jessica Anderson

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that πŸ™ Was he scared on the plane or something?

• Melisa

I can’t imagine getting onto a plane with a little one. You are a lot braver than I. We drove everywhere when our kids were that young. If we couldn’t drive there, we didn’t need to go. lol

• Jessica Anderson

Haha I know some people who do that too! I’m just a horrible road trip companion (I hate long car rides) so flying is the way to go for us!

• Inspiring Kitchen

My kids were bigger when we started traveling. These are helpful tips.

• Elizabeth O.

It’s tough to fly with babies. I remember a passenger feeling so ashamed when her baby was crying non-stop. I’m so glad that no one was rude to her. I would feel the same if that were me. These tips are tried and tested and they are definitely effective!

• Jessica Anderson

Well thanks for being so sweet and understanding about it πŸ™‚ It def can be hard but us women can handle anything!

• Karlaroundtheworld | Karla

Though I probably won’t have a problem with the last tip since I’m really that way when travelling, I am grateful for reading this one. I’ve never really travelled with a little one and maybe one day, I’ll have this ready from my bookmarks!

• tp keane

I love this article… I also love that mine are now too big to need any of these tips. But I remember what it was like. Boy could I have used it then.

• Amy Jones

Haha thanks for the tips, indeed is difficult to maintain composure when running all around with bags, documents and itineraries.

• Lexie Lane

Good advice, it’s so hard to fly with your little ones, especially when you are first time.

• Rachel Mouton

These are great tips! We flew with all three of our kiddos a few years ago and it wasn’t that bad πŸ™‚

• Ana Fernandez

Number 7has a super cute story! it is good to know there still are people so nice

• Kathy

Great tips! I’ve never even been on a plane before, so I wouldn’t know what it’s like. I know just going on any long trip with children can be difficult. You’ll always want to have the right things with to keep them busy.

• Doran @ Haute Beauty Guide

Great tips. I travel a lot with my dog and it stresses me out… I can’t imagine doing it with a baby. You seem to have figured it out.

• Jessica Anderson

That’s too funny, cause I flew with my dog once and that was almost harder than flying with my baby haha. Thank you though πŸ˜€

• Jess

Such a good resource. When we first flew with our 18 month old I swore never again – just an awful, screaming baby experience. Several flights later she’s a pro, I hope Moms see this post, very helpful with real world experience!

• Jessica Anderson

Thanks, it does get easier each flight doesn’t it? πŸ™‚

• Denise C

I just waited until the kids were older before taking them on a plane. It drives me nuts when other people do it.

• Jessica Anderson

Well sadly I don’t have that luxury as my parents live out of state and I want them to see their grand babies. I’m sorry to hear that.

• Berlin

I agree with your tips. Dress comfortably and entertainment even in the form of toys or music are a must. A good diaper bag as well is a necessity. I also bring with me a carrier for my baby so i could move hands free. A bottlw of water is also needed to give my little boy some liquid.

• Jay Simms

I have never had to fly with my children, but I’m sure it is stressful for parents. Thanks for your tips. I’m going to keep them handy.

• Mardene Carr

This is not something that I would ever want to do for the record. If however I just HAVE to then these are great tips to remember